Monday, June 24, 2013

Introducing the Intern

     Hello!  My name is Abby, I am a Biology major and will be a sophomore at USF this Fall.  On campus I am very involved with Students with Diabetes, in fact, I will be president of the club next semester.  Over the summer I received an internship at JDRF as well!  It’s hard to believe so many opportunities have appeared this quickly since joining SWD.  It has been an exciting and interesting experience working at JDRF.   So far as an intern, I have had the opportunity to learn quite a bit about advocacy and what goes on behind the scenes at JDRF for their fundraising and outreach events.  There is certainly a lot that goes in to planning these events and being able to do what I can to help out has been a fantastic experience.  Last week I was invited to go with Mrs. Carole form JDRF on behalf of JDRF to a volunteer fair at a large local business where we were able to talk to many interested people about T1D and offer ways through which they could help the organization in finding a cure.  I’m always excited to go back to the office in St. Petersburg every week, there is always something new and interesting to learn.  Through this experience I hope to improve my communication skills, critical thinking skills, and learn as much as I can about advocacy and T1D.

No comments:

Post a Comment